1. Why a Black Church? (posted June 19) "To this day, churches are the center of social and political life in the American black community—and they are clear symbols of black influence and power."
2. The Doors of the Church are Open (posted June 20)
3. Making Sense of the Charleston Shooting (posted June 19) "The most offensive word in expressions of sympathy for the Charleston shooting victims may be 'senseless.'"
4. Charleston shootings: Emanuel AME church to reopen (posted June 21) "It's a church of the Lord - you don't turn nobody down."
5. To donate to Emanuel AME church, go here: http://emanuelamechurch.org/
1. The Execution of Michael Servetus & My Primary Deal-Breaker with Calvinism (posted June 15) "If Calvin didn’t understand something so basic as torturing and killing people is something a Jesus follower probably shouldn’t do, I have zero confidence that he ever understood the more complex theological issues."
2. Melchizedek: King, Priest, Time Lord (posted June 13) "It’s fascinating, really, to see what Jewish and Christian theology came up with based on an obscure episode in Genesis spanning just four verses."
3. Will your self-driving car be programmed to kill you if it means saving more strangers? (posted June 15)
4. How Watermelons Became a Racist Trope (posted 2014)
5. Let’s Talk about Rachel Dolezal’s Parents (posted June 17) "For those who are familiar with this subculture, you probably know where this is going. The CLASS curriculum is recommended by white supremacists, and as Kathryn Joyce has documented, black children adopted into evangelical families are often treated in a highly racialized way, punished more harshly than their white siblings and taught to denigrate their own culture."
6. Christian Complains That Neighbor’s Colorful Yard is Becoming “Relentlessly Gay” (posted June 17) "Yes... we must protect the children from the evil, wicked lamps!"
7. Ken Ham’s Reconstruction of Noah’s Ark Demonstrates Absurdity of Creationism (posted June 18) "Ken Ham needs more than $100 million, modern machinery, a huge team of labor, roads, lumber mills, AND tax breaks and never once thinks ‘You know... I don’t think a 500 year old man could pull this off with tools from the Bronze Age...'"
8. Why You Need To Know The Complicated History Of Pubic Hair Removal (posted June 22)
9. Let It Flow (posted June 22) Star Wars parody of "Let It Go." Yeah.