Monday, October 22, 2012

Blogaround

1. With Friends Like These... (posted October 15) "My feminism – the feminism of today – is Christlike."

2. Is Buying Nothing New Bad for the Economy? (posted October 15) I have wondered about this too- specifically when I hear statistics about "if Americans all spent $x less on Christmas presents they don't need, we could provide clean water to n million people!" What effect would that have on the US economy? Are we at a certain standard of living that is only possible because we are ignoring others' needs?

3. When our interpretations differ... (posted October 15) "For constructive dialog to happen, Christians must stop conflating differences in interpretation of Scripture with differences in commitment to Scripture."

4. Can you feel the sex tonight? (posted October 16) "In my 16-year-old mind, calling Timon and Pumbaa gay was sexualizing them."

5. "You're not like most women" is not a compliment! (posted October 15) Amen to this.

6. Obama Falsely Says Planned Parenthood Performs Mammograms (posted October 16)

7. George Zimmerman trial set for June 10, defense attorney says (posted October 17)

8. Where are you on the Dawkins Scale? (posted October 18) A useful way of looking at things. You could make variations on it for other beliefs too.

9. For evangelicals, racism isn't a dealbreaker, but feminism is (posted October 18)

10. 3.2% of Americans Identify as LGBT, According to New Gallup Poll (posted October 18)

11. The Best Of #FirstWorldProblems Delivered By People Who Wished They Had Them (posted October 15) This video is worth watching... but I have a lot of conflicting thoughts about its message...

12. Bicultural Living (posted October 9) "When we say Jesus is fully God and fully man, we declare that He is ever and always bicultural."

13. Why I am a Christian Democrat (posted October 17)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie,

    I wanted to comment on the last article in this blogaround. I'm not trying to deflect from the author's original point, but I just want to try to put things in perspective.

    I agree with the author that Democrats do more than Republicans to combat poverty. I agree that, as a Christian, there are a lot of things that I really dislike about Republicans. In fact, I refuse to call myself Republican because of many of their values that I see as being un-Christian. However, I also cannot call myself Democrat. I'm going to do my best to explain why.

    The right to life must be given extreme consideration when weighing the choice of a candidate, because the right to life is the fundamental right upon which all others derive their value; a human being has an inherent dignity that must not be abrogated by denying it the right to life. If you remove this protection, all other human values collapse. It is always helpful for me to cast this decision in light of an analogy. Would I be able to vote for someone who opposes targeting innocents in war, is committed to providing health insurance for the uninsured and a financial safety net to the poor, and has many other excellent social policies, but feels it is alright in every circumstance to kill jews? If one balks or is affronted by the use of the word jew, substitute another targeted and under-represented population; try the "elderly", try the "handicapped", try "blacks", and if one really has the guts, try the "unborn". Not to flippantly quote Dr. Suess, but, "a life is a life, no matter how small." Over the last four years of our president's term, 6 million unborn children have been killed. It took Hitler around 8 years to reach that level of horror. I really don't like to consider myself a one-issue voter, but when you look at it through the prism of a holocaust, the greyness gradually crystallizes into black and white. Four thousand human souls are lost to abortion every day in this country--as Mother Theresa says, that is the depth of poverty.

    I think this is a very decisive moment in the history of our country, and I am praying daily for the people of this nation to vote to protect the most fundamental right of all of its citizens - the right to life. When this right is protected, we will be standing on the solid ground necessary to build a civilization that can eliminate poverty, reject torture, promote just wages, and respect the dignity inherent in all human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what you're saying- abortion should not exist. But I have also heard the arguments on the pro-choice side and I'm not sure what my position is yet... I can't agree with either side because it seems like they're both emphasizing certain aspects and completely ignoring others.


    But I really do appreciate your comments and how much compassion you have toward the unborn children and the women affected by this issue.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

ShareThis