|Two dogs, dressed as a bride and groom. Image source.|
2. The Daily Show - The Dakota Access Pipeline's Reservation Reroute (posted December 2) "The conversation seems to go 'the pipeline is completely safe' and it's like, well then why didn't you build it under the white people's houses? 'well, because it might leak.'"
3. Concordance-ism backfires for anti-gay preacher (posted November 26) "It’s quite effective. That concordance search for “slavery,” after all, won’t ever turn up any of that “loose the bonds of injustice” and “break every yoke” business. Nor will it show you how Jesus made such a passage the mission statement for his ministry. Nor will it remind you of the freaking title of the second book of the Bible."
4. Satanists Say Texas Rule Requiring Funerals for Aborted Fetuses “Violates Their Religious Beliefs” (posted December 3) "If Texas is going to treat the disposal of fetal tissue differently from the disposal of any other biological material, in contradiction to our own religious beliefs, they need to present a compelling state interest for doing so."
5. White evangelicals cannot allow themselves to understand miscarriage (posted November 30) "Recognition of that can shape — and improve — our ability to respond pastorally to the heartbreak of miscarriage. But recognition of that is not permitted. And so our pastors become cruel."
6. In Victory For Protesters, Army Halts Construction On Dakota Pipeline (posted December 4) and A timeline of the year of resistance at Standing Rock
7. In White America, Girls’ Clitorises Were Cut Off Because Christian Parents Feared Masturbation (posted December 6)
8. US Border Patrol uses desert as ‘weapon’ to kill thousands of migrants, report says (posted December 7) "'The known disappearance of thousands of people in the remote wilderness of the US–Mexico border zone marks one of the great historical crimes of our day,' the group said in a blistering report, the first of three reports documenting alleged abuses by Border Patrol."
[links below are all about he-who-must-not-be-named and the associated apocalypse]
1. Hundreds of Jewish scholars of holocaust history call on Americans to 'mobilise in solidarity' against Trump (posted November 18)
2. Questioning Safety Pin Solidarity Revealed Why I Can’t Trust White People (posted November 13) "A small symbol that so many white people have been eager to point out is “work friendly” is not enough. How about you make a few privileged people uncomfortable at work?"
3. Five myths about the electoral college (posted 2012) "The electoral college distorts the political process by providing a huge incentive to visit competitive states, especially large ones with hefty numbers of electoral votes."
4. N.C. man told police he went to D.C. pizzeria with assault rifle to ‘self-investigate’ election-related conspiracy theory (posted December 5) "The restaurant’s owner and employees were threatened on social media in the days before the election after fake news stories circulated claiming that then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and her campaign chief were running a child sex ring from the restaurant’s backrooms."
5. Now Is the Time to Talk About What We Are Actually Talking About (posted December 2) "Now is the time to resist the slightest extension in the boundaries of what is right and just."