|8 furry puppies sleeping all over a couch. Image source.|
2. A Crash Course in Divine Command Theory (and God’s Supposed Goodness) (posted November 1) Oooh this is a good video.
3. Jen Hatmaker, InterVarsity, and Why The Evangelical Church Will Change on Same-Sex Marriage (posted November 4) "One hundred years from now, every Christian denomination and every evangelical church will be LGBT-affirming. The question is not whether that will happen. The question is simply how long it will take and how much damage will be done to LGBT people and to the name of Jesus in the meantime."
4. 7 Reasons So Many Guys Don’t Understand Sexual Consent (posted November 3) [content note: rape culture] "If you're wondering, no, I've never in my life groped a woman who didn't grope me first. This is not because I was a gentleman who cared about consent. If you'd cornered me in high school and asked me why I hadn't just grabbed a girl at a party and made her kiss me, I'd have said it was because I wasn't cool enough, or hot enough."
5. How House Republicans Derailed A Scientist Whose Research Could Save Lives (posted November 3) "While doing side research as a surgical intern in 2014, Gu became the first person to successfully implant the heart and kidney of a human fetus into a rat. The organs actually grew inside the rat and sustained its life ― a result that could have enormous implications for the treatment of life-threatening birth defects."
6. Think It’s #NotAllMen? These 4 Facts Prove You’re Just Plain Wrong (posted October 10) "This well-meaning man thinks he’s contributing to a discussion, which he feels entitled to do, because he has a right to his opinion. He doesn’t see the pattern of being talked over, belittled, or dismissed that his female friend experiences daily, to which he’s just contributed."
7. Orlando to buy Pulse nightclub, turn it into memorial (posted November 8)
8. Harry Potter Theory: The Veil Explained (posted November 3)
9. Multilevel Marketing: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) (posted November 7)
All the links below are about the election. Yeah, it just sucks. I have very few Americans here to talk to- Hendrix took me out for dinner to help me feel better, but he doesn't really *get* it. I'm really glad to have my twitter friends and blog friends.
1. Selling Your Soul for a Fantasy (posted November 4) "Hang on a second. You just said what matters most is making sure that embryos/fetuses that are conceived have a chance to develop and be born. Didn’t you say that that comes before anything else? If that comes before helping refugees find a place to live, ensuring that gay people don’t have to live in fear of violence, and treating women as people rather than sex objects, doesn’t it also come before your concerns about premarital sex and dependence on government programs?"
2. The History Of American Women In Congress And Widow’s Succession (posted November 2) [content note: big picture of a spider at the top of the page, but you can scroll past it pretty fast so it's not that bad] "Even in the years after women’s suffrage, it was difficult for women to break into any elected office, particularly into the US Congress. However, during these early years many women gained access to these positions due to the practice of widow’s succession."
3. What I learned about male privilege the night I talked to my daughter about the election (posted November 7) "Daddy, have you ever voted for a girl before?"
4. This Election Was About the Issues (posted November 6) "For Serious People, the manner in which the issues are raised is as important as the issues themselves. Abstractions are preferable, which is why “abortion” is an admissible issue but “grab them by the pussy”—a vivid manifestation of the misogyny that runs beneath the surface of the abortion debate—is part of some queasy-making burlesque."
5. Nov 9th (posted November 9) "The very suggestion that marginalized people dont have to worry because God is on the throne is an extraordinarily privileged theology."