|A dog trying to eat a floating bubble. Image source.|
1. The Flint water crisis is a perfect example of environmental racism (posted January 23)
2. The faithless promises of God’s covenants and evangelical tenure (posted January 13) "The God they believe revoked a promise to Abraham can just as easily, at any time, revoke any promises to them."
3. Rick Warren: “You won’t be on earth long, so don’t get too attached” (posted January 27) "I’ve had some people look at me and say, “But if you don’t believe in God, you just live for yourself” — and when they do I feel deeply sorry for them, because they seem to be telling me that the promise of a lie is stealing away their chance to live for themselves."
4. 2 Abortion Foes Behind Planned Parenthood Videos Are Indicted (posted January 25) "On Monday, the Harris County district attorney, Devon Anderson, said in a statement that grand jurors had cleared Planned Parenthood of any wrongdoing."
5. Culture-blindness and the Bible (posted January 30) "Conveniently, all of the people who take the highest pains to stress to me that our most important identity must be in Christ, not race, happen to see themselves as white."
6. The Handbook: The Magic Christian (Doesn’t Exist). (posted January 26) "'Magic Christians' think that there’s this one little detail that we simply didn’t know, this one little spin-doctoring of an atrocious concept that maybe we didn’t think about in the right way. Once we hear the Magic Christian’s patient explanation, the expectation is that we will smack our foreheads, say I never thought of that! and reconvert immediately." I totally did this to people back when I was a "Real True Christian." I'm sorry.
7. Young Earth Creationism’s Important Scientific Veneer (posted January 27) "See, there are entire creationist books about the flood and about the ark. There are books full of scientific calculations explaining how Noah and his sons and their wives could have housed and fed two of every animals for months on end. These books explain how the ark would have been constructed, discuss the materials that would have bene available, and answer criticism thrown at the story. No one at Answers in Genesis thinks the image above is science. Instead, they think it’s nonsense."
8. Wanted Pregnancies and Unwanted Abortions (posted January 25) "I spoke with dozens of women over the course of nearly a year, but what struck me most were the women who told me they didn’t want to have an abortion—women who cried and who spoke sadly of their “child” but who simply couldn’t see any way to make it work financially."
9. Saeed and Naghmeh Abedini — Two Kinds of Violence, Both Still a Prison (posted January 16) "Just because one is a Christian pastor and held prisoner in Iran does not remove the possibility that one can also be an abuser. Yet the thought of that scenario is too messy."