Monday, August 6, 2012

Blogaround


1. Our Favorite Disney Princesses Transformed Into Women Of Color (posted July 30). Very cool.

2. Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple (posted July 28). Really? Really? In 2012, in America? Really?

3. 13 ways to make an immersion environment (posted October 8, 2011). A totally awesome article full of tips for "immersing" yourself in whatever foreign language you're studying. I actually do a lot of these with Mandarin.

4. Is it okay to ask if someone's kids are adopted? (posted February 9, 2012). Written by a mother who has several adopted kids of a different race. Very interesting.

5. Robot Apocalypse (posted July 31). "If all that experience has taught me anything, it's that the robot revolution would end quickly, because the robots would all break down or get stuck against walls. Robots never, ever work right." Yes! I work in a lab with robots every day, and then I hear people talk about the idea of robots taking over society... that is SO far from reality.

6. This comic:

Yes! Image source.

7. Find out how much of a Chinese newspaper you can understand. This will only be interesting to people studying Chinese. It's a short quiz, and at the end it gives you an estimate for number of words you know and what percent of a newspaper you can read.

I got 68.3% and 2635 Chinese words (words, not characters- I estimate I know 700 characters).

8. Top 10 Saddest/Craziest/Understandable Things I've Seen Christians Believe About Relationships (posted July 27). Wow. The stuff on this list resonated with me so much- things I used to believe or I still subconsciously believe.

9. So you ate mor chickin yesterday. Now what? (posted August 2). "What I wonder is this: did our focus on Chick-fil-A also cause us to neglect 'the more important matters of the Law: justice, peace, and faith' (Matthew 23:23, CEB)." This is something a lot of Christians need to hear.

10. 5 Reasons Why The Church Failed Yesterday (posted August 2). Again, about Chick-Fil-A.

11. There Are Olympians Without Countries-- And Millions of Regular People, Too (posted August 1).

12. Acid attacks, poison: What Afghan girls risk by going to school (posted August 2). This is so intense. I'm astonished at how much sexism and hate they're facing. I didn't know cultures like that existed in the world.

13. Dreaming of a spiral bound Bible (posted July 30). "Am I really to believe that the community of those who love puppies is larger than the community of those in this country and around the world who live every day with a disability? ... Refusing to design a Bible for those with disabilities is shocking to me in this day. ADA was passed over two decades ago and it is the church which is still trailing instead of leading the world."

Any interesting links you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis