Sunday, January 8, 2023

Recurring Donations

A stack of US dollars, a calculator, and blocks that spell "2023." Image source.

I posted about this last year, so I guess it's a tradition now. ^_^

Hey everyone, so, it's January. This is a good time to think about your budget. If you have extra money, you should donate to charity. I recommend picking a cause that's important to you, finding a charity that does work related to that cause, and setting up a monthly donation. Maybe $10/month, or maybe more if you have more money.

And every year, if you are doing well financially, you can increase the amount.

Recurring donations are great because, from the charity's side, they help the charity plan their budget. And from the donor's side, it happens automatically, so even if you forget about it, you're still donating to charity.

Personally, I feel like one problem I have is a tendency to want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out if a charity is "good" or "bad" or "effective", or which one is the best. I do have a lot of unanswered questions about the whole system... I am very suspicious that the image the average person has about how charity works is very much NOT how it works at all. BUT ANYWAY, those are things that in the long run I'd like to learn more about. For now, though, it's better to do something than nothing, so I donate to a few charities who seem to be doing good things, even though I don't know all the details.

So, if you have extra money, this is definitely something you should think about doing ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis