Friday, December 2, 2022

Square Root's Advent Calendar

Advent calendar that looks like a 2D Christmas tree with 24 pockets under it. Image source.

So my little son is preschool-age now. He's old enough to actually have whole conversations, and so I decided I should do some more Christmas traditions with him now. He's old enough to actually talk about and understand Christmas traditions and the Christmas story. 

So I bought this Advent calendar which has 24 empty pockets, and I printed off bible verses, and I bought a little puzzle and put a few pieces in each pocket. The bible verses are from here: Bible Verse Advent Countdown for Kids – FREE Printable! It has 24 little cards, with extremely simplified bible verses that tell the story of Jesus' birth. And the puzzle is a Nativity scene.

Super excited for this Advent calendar! Every day my son can open the next pocket and we'll read the bible verse and he can add more pieces to the puzzle.

So that's my plan- but you know how little kids are... they may or may not go along with the plan. They care 0% about how much effort you put into it or how important it is to you.

Anyway, yesterday we opened pocket #1. Square Root was very interested in the puzzle pieces (there were 3 pieces the first day). While he was trying to put them together, I read him the bible verse: "God sent the angel Gabriel to a girl named Mary," and then asked him, "Do you remember who Mary is?" but he totally ignored me, and then the puzzle pieces reminded him that he has a dinosaur puzzle, so he asked me to get it for him. 

So that's how that's going.

Anyway, I'm curious about how much he'll understand about the Christmas story, and what he'll think about it. He has a few books about baby Jesus, and he has a toy nativity set, so he's at least vaguely familiar with the characters in the story. I plan to blog about this again later, to let you all know Square Root's thoughts on it. (Edit: here's the update.)

That's all~ Very excited for Advent~

 

---

Related:

Taking My Kid To Church (Blog Series)

Taking My Kid To Church: God Loves My Son

Not Sure I Want My Kid Reading the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis