Monday, March 2, 2020

Top Posts From 2019

A drawing of 2 dogs. One says to the other, "I had my own blog for a while, but I decided to go back to just pointless, incessant barking." Image source.
Hi readers! Thank you so much for reading and commenting on the blog in 2019. Here are the top 8 posts by pageviews:

1. Unaffirming Church Bingo "Great news! I have made this incredibly useful bingo board, for when you ask a Christian if they are LGBTQ-affirming and they give you a non-answer."

2. "Desiring God" Goes Full Toxic Masculinity "This article is ... wow it's really something else. It's an absurd, nonsensical mix of gender roles, misogyny, queermisia, and just generally being an unloving jerk."

3. Captain Marvel, Boundaries, and Why I Don't Go To Church "Because I believe in boundaries morality now, and one aspect of that is you don't have to play by other people's rules. Just because somebody says 'you need to do XYZ' doesn't mean it's actually true."

4. The Bible Lied About Lot's Daughters "It sounds like the story an abuser would tell to cover up the abuse and blame the victims." This one was actually posted on December 31, 2018, but wow the pageviews are so high, it deserves to be on this list. It was too new to really have a chance when "top posts of 2018" was published.

5. If Thanos Tells You To Build An Ark, You Say No "'Noah's ark' is about a genocidal God who's just like a movie supervillain."

6. I Didn't Know I Had a Culture Until I Lost It "Drive thru. Pizza party. Road trip. Oven mitts and measuring spoons and meat thermometers."

7. On Purity, Asexuality, and Timing "But ... if I wasn't in purity culture, would I have had sex I didn't want, because I thought it was 'normal'?"

8. Conservative Christians Teach That Wives Are REQUIRED To Have Sex Even When They Don't Want To. Here Are The Receipts. "This is what I was taught about marriage: that one of the most important aspects of being married is that wives have to frequently say yes to sex they don't want."

And a few more posts that I feel are worth sharing:

1. She was the first (Thank you, Rachel) and Link Roundup of Posts Honoring Rachel Held Evans

2. If A Wife Is Required To Have Sex, That's Not "Intimacy" "It's hard because purity culture taught me 2 completely opposite things: That sex is intrinsically, automatically the most intimate you can possibly be with someone, and that I shouldn't just communicate how I feel during sex if it might affect my husband's enjoyment of it."

3. If One Partner Doesn't Want to Fix the Relationship, Then It's Just Not Fixable "When all the relationship advice I'd heard was about 'here is how to fix your relationship' instead of 'here is how to know if your relationship is worth fixing.'"

4. My "6 Years Later" blog series, reflecting on the fact that I've lived in China for 6 years:
I Didn't Know I Had a Culture Until I Lost It (also linked to it in the above list; it was #6 by pageviews)
On Immigration and Double Standards
Because of an Idea
Culture, Objectivity, God, and the Real Reason I Moved to China

Thanks again to all my great readers! Looking forward to another good year of blogging~

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis