Thursday, February 20, 2020

Blogaround

The text "武汉加油" on a red background. I'll translate it as "Stay strong, Wuhan," though 加油 [jiā yóu] is a fun little phrase that's hard to translate. Literal translation is "add oil." Image source.
1. We’re Bad at Understanding Behavior Based on What We’ve Never Experienced (posted January 31) "In articles describing people’s personal journeys towards identifying as ace, a common theme is ‘I thought other people around me were having sex mainly because of peer pressure’."

2. See why one of the biggest world cities now looks like a ghost town (posted February 18) Wow. This is a video from CNN showing the current situation in Shanghai (because of the measures that have been taken to prevent the spread of the coronavirus).

I live in Shanghai, and I have 2 things to say:
1) Yes, that is what it looks like here. Everyone you see in public is wearing a mask, and some also have latex gloves, big plastic raincoats, etc. You see *a few* people out and about, but not many. Places that are normally PACKED with people are empty.
2) A significant part of that video is from the elevated pedestrian walkway at Lujiazui. HOLY CRAP. I've been there so many times. It's one of the most touristy places in Shanghai. Seeing it so empty like that, wow. Wow.

3. Stop-and-frisk under Michael Bloomberg led more black students to drop out, study shows (posted February 19) So, I guess I'm incredibly naive; I am just realizing now that "stop and frisk" is a nice-sounding euphemism for police bullying black people. It's not like, the police just nicely check you and if you've done nothing wrong then you're fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis