|Image description: A huge lion sitting in a wheelbarrow like a kitty. "If it fits, I sits." Image source.|
1. Cursed be anyone who deprives the refugee of justice (posted November 19) Yep.
2. Please don’t suddenly pretend you care about homeless veterans for just as long as it allows you to oppose helping refugees, because that’s hurting both veterans and refugees and it’s making you miserable (posted November 20) "As a general rule with very few exceptions, whenever you encounter someone arguing that “We [America] shouldn’t be doing X to help those people over there until we fix Y over here for our own people,” then you have also just encountered someone who doesn’t really give a flying fig about actually doing anything to fix Y over here."
3. Bible School Primer for Governors (posted November 18) "It would be shameful under any circumstances, but Pence pretends to be a defender of Christian values, which makes it all the more disgusting."
4. Young Black Men Share Heartbreaking Stories About Growing Up in the US (posted November 12)
5. Dear politicians who want to bar Syrian refugees: here are 6 ways you're wrong (posted November 17) "You are not the first person to think of vetting refugees. In fact, the US is pretty good at it."
6. Racism and the refugee problem (posted November 19) "If we let them in and generously provide for them, we would be building up a community of grateful, patriotic Americans whose presence and loyalty would undercut the message on which ISIS thrives."
7. Teacher: A student told me I ‘couldn’t understand because I was a white lady.’ Here’s what I did then. (posted November 24) "We read about the Syrian crisis, analyzing photographs of war-torn faces at the border and then wrote poetry of hope, despair and compassion from the perspectives of the migrants. Many of my kids asked to write about their own journeys across the border and their [dreams] for a better future. One child cried and told me he never had a teacher who honored the journey his family took to the United States. He told me he was not ashamed anymore, but instead proud of the sacrifice his parents made for him."
8. [Theory] Jar Jar Binks was a trained Force user, knowing Sith collaborator, and will play a central role in The Force Awakens (posted October 30) You guys. Wow. You must read this Star Wars fan theory.
9. So this happened:
boyfriend: "Do you want to go see 'The Martian' this weekend?"
boyfriend: "You can write a blog post about what good Christians would think of that movie."
me: "...you know my blog so well."
So anyway we saw "The Martian" and it was really really good! It's a science movie! Totally recommend.
(I am not, however, going to write a blog post about "what good Christians think of it.")
|Images from "Saving Private Ryan", "Interstellar", and "The Martian." Text: "America has spent so much ****ing money retrieving Matt Damon." Image source.|
About the shooting at Planned Parenthood:
1. Everything We Know About The Planned Parenthood Shooting In Colorado Springs (posted November 27)
2. The Colorado Springs shooting epitomizes white privilege and the hypocrisy of pro-lifers (posted November 28)
3. Here's what I have to say:
"We literally have no idea why this guy shot ppl at PP. All we said was 'abortion is worse than the Holocaust.'"— Perfect Number (@pnumber628) 2015年11月29日
4. And now would be good time to go over and donate to Planned Parenthood.
5. Targeted Attacks On Abortion Providers Is Domestic Terrorism (posted November 28)
6. The awkward dance of condemning violence against Satanic baby-killers (posted November 28) "Since that would mean backing down from the central, flawed premise that abortion is murder, however, I don't think they'll do it."