Links not related to the antichrist:
1. Q&A: Pangram CEO (June 23, via) "There is a social contract between the writer and the reader. If I believe there is an idea worth sharing, I pay a cost by writing a piece of text, and the reader pays a cost by taking the time to read it. In a future where AI content lets you bypass the cost of writing your idea and formulating it, we get into a situation with perverse incentives, where people are posting total slop, and the reader is taking more time to read than the writer put into the text in the first place."
2. The Mystery in the Medicine Cabinet (April) "So, for many years, if I needed a painkiller, I’d try to take ibuprofen rather than acetaminophen. My logic was that if eight grams of acetaminophen could kill my liver, then one gram was probably still hard on it. I’m fond of my liver and didn't want to cause it any unnecessary inconvenience. But guess what? My logic was wrong and what I was doing was stupid."
3. This video of New York City mayor Zohran Mamdani speaking Mandarin Chinese. (August 16) Wow, this is really good! I can understand all of it- it's not like a lot of other videos of actors/beginners trying to say things in Chinese, where they don't even come close to nailing the pronunciation, and I'm like "... I can't even figure out what they were trying to say." He's got the pronunciation totally right- even difficult ones like "ri" and "yu." The way he talks is slow and careful, like he memorized a script and he's trying to get it perfect, rather than just naturally being able to speak the language. So my guess is he has spent time studying Chinese before, especially the pronunciation, but maybe not good enough to just have a conversation whenever. (See also, the blooper reel.) Anyway I'm very impressed, and as a politician you *should* do stuff like this, to connect with the people you represent.
4. Total Eclipse of the Heart in the Original Klingon - Strange New Worlds (August 8)
5. She Faced a Life-Threatening Miscarriage. Under Arkansas’ Abortion Ban, Even Calls to the Governor’s Office Didn’t Help. (May 26, via) "'This is basic obstetrics,' said Dr. Alison Goulding, a maternal-fetal-medicine specialist in Texas. 'Everyone should know that you have to provide an abortion in these settings or women can die.'"
---
Links related to the antichrist:
1. DHS's abuse of power in Minnesota was even worse than we knew (August 18) "What we didn’t know at the time, though, was that the administration had engaged in utterly unprecedented surveillance in service of its theory that somehow everyone in Minnesota was engaged in a vast criminal conspiracy to make ICE thugs feel sad."
2. They grew up with disability rights. Now, they're fighting to keep them (August 20) "'I can't really overstate how significant this change in position is,' said Alison Barkoff, a health law and policy professor at George Washington University who worked on Olmstead enforcement in the Justice Department during the Obama administration. 'It is now the position of the United States government that people with disabilities don't have a right to be part of their communities.'"
3. The system meant to protect ICE detainees has collapsed (August 20) "'I even told them in English: I have a Stage 4 brain tumor. I have to take 1,000 mg of Keppra at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. I'm supposed to start chemotherapy this week,' he said."
4. “The ICE Agent Behind Me Grabbed the Back of My Shirt and Just Threw Me Like a Sack of Trash” (August 1, via) "Bowe was in shock. “I thought of Alex Pretti, because he was also a nurse, and he was also helping someone who’d been knocked down.” Bowe was treated for a concussion, and for a kneecap fracture. She’s now suing ICE for $500,000."
5. Kings are creepy and weird (August 19) "I’ve been thinking about poor Abishag lately due to the recent attention being given to our own very old, doddering would-be king’s constant companion and non-sexual female attendant."
No comments:
Post a Comment