Friday, April 21, 2023

My Blog is Blocked on Facebook

Image has a thumbs-up "like" symbol, and the text "Smash that like button." Image source.

Over the past year or so, I've gotten some messages from readers telling me that Facebook doesn't let them share links from my blog. (Thank you for telling me about this problem, readers!) I don't really know why this is, but seems like a lot of blogs are blocked on Facebook.

Anyway, here are 2 things you can do about it:

1. Send feedback to Facebook to tell them to unblock it

On this site, you can check if a link is blocked, and you can send Facebook a message to unblock it: Sharing Debugger

Go ahead and paste https://tellmewhytheworldisweird.blogspot.com/ in there. The message I get is "We can't review this website because the content doesn't meet our Community Standards. If you think this is a mistake, please let us know." Click the "let us know" and you can tell them it shouldn't be blocked.

Honestly I'm not optimistic this will really work, though, because I've tried it several times and it's still blocked. But hey, we can try.

2. Use archive.org to create a link that Facebook will accept

If you want to share my blog on Facebook, first of all thank you!!! Bloggers love it when people share their stuff.

You can go to the Wayback Machine and paste a URL into the "Save Page Now" box, and it will create a link which is a snapshot of what that webpage currently looks like. As far as I know, Facebook will allow you to share this link.

From a blogger's perspective, archive links are not as good because they don't give the blogger any data on pageviews or where the hits are coming from. (You're not actually sharing my blog, you're sharing a link to an archived snapshot of my blog. I will just have to hope that anyone who's interested is then able to find their way onto the actual blog...) But since Facebook is blocking it, this is the best solution I have.

---

Once again, thank you to all my readers who read/lurk/share/comment. ^_^ I love getting encouraging comments from readers, but also, if you just lurk and never say anything, that's great too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis