|The kingdom of heaven is like "Volunteer lawyers here on the ground in terminal 1 drafting habeas petitions to free detained Iranians and Yemenis." Source.|
1. Trump Suspends Entire US Refugee Program For 120 Days, Syrians Indefinitely (posted January 28) Oh this is bad.
2. Google Criticizes Impact on Staff of Trump Immigration Order (posted January 28) "In his message to employees, Mr. Pichai suggested at least 187 employees hailed from countries included in the ban. 'Our first order of business is to help Googlers who are affected,' he said. 'If you’re abroad and need help please reach out to our global security team.'"
3. Protesters gather at JFK, Dulles airports over immigration action (posted January 28) Everybody in the US protesting at airports, you make me proud.
4. Judge blocks deportation of detainees over Trump refugee order (posted January 28) This is temporary victory. We have to keep fighting.
5. Evangelical Church: In the wake of banning refugees, what do you believe? (posted January 28) "The same church that told me that people were dying eternally damned because no one was willing to risk their life to tell these people about Jesus, is the same church that is telling me it isn’t safe for these women and children to be in our neighborhoods."
6. VIDEO: Mother from Iran, 5-year-old son reunited after he was detained at Dulles Airport (posted January 29)
7. These are the faces of Trump's ban "Bidshahri is studying neuroscience and says the university has warned her not to leave the country because she might not be able to re-enter. Her family was planning to attend her graduation, but because they are Iranian they’re now covered by the ban."
8. Trump Fires Acting Attorney General for Defying Order on Muslims (posted January 30) "'Donald Trump can try to silence heroic patriots like Sally Yates who dare to speak truth to power about his illegal anti-Muslim ban that emboldens terrorists around the globe,' the Democratic National Committee said in a statement. 'But he cannot silence the growing voices of an American people now wide awake to his tyrannical presidency.'"
9. After Trump Order, Hospitals Scramble to Aid Patients Slated for U.S. Care (posted January 30) "Johns Hopkins Medicine regularly brings patients to the United States from the Middle East for care, Paulk said. They are usually patients whose difficult cases cannot be fully treated in their native country: neurosurgeries, complex spine surgeries, bone marrow transplants, and the like."
10. Trump ban is boon for ISIS recruitment, former jihadists and experts say (posted January 30) "But Winter [who has studied ISIS propaganda for years] said the policy is "far more potent than any video or other piece of propaganda" the group could put out."
11. ****This one has been debunked.**** Detroit family caught in Iraq travel ban, mom dies waiting to come home (posted January 31) Turns out this is not true, for more information read this.
Other articles related to the orange antichrist:
1. Five #AlternativeFacts of toxic Christianity (posted January 24) "The foundation for a culture of alternative facts is to presume the abject corruption of every possible source of information including your own intuitions and observations, except for the designated authority figure whether it’s your megachurch preacher, the Bible, or Donald Trump."
2. Franken: No Dems will vote to confirm DeVos for secretary of Education (posted January 27) "'She is an ideologue who knows next to nothing about education policy as ... she demonstrated really in her confirmation hearing,' Franken said."
3. Trump to focus counter-extremism program solely on Islam (posted February 1) "The program, "Countering Violent Extremism," or CVE, would be changed to "Countering Islamic Extremism" or "Countering Radical Islamic Extremism," the sources said, and would no longer target groups such as white supremacists who have also carried out bombings and shootings in the United States." Oh crap this is bad.
And a few more links about other things:
1. How Author Timothy Tyson Found the Woman at the Center of the Emmett Till Case (posted January 26) "Nothing that boy did could ever justify what happened to him."
2. Gatekeeping vs. Coalition Building (posted January 20) "But I think it is appropriate and good for feminists to say “being a feminist means you don’t support policies that lead to the suffering and death of women,” and unfortunately, that’s what being “pro-life” means for a not-insignificant part of the pro-life movement. If there’s going to be a line that keeps some people out of the feminist tent, the “you want women to die for no god-forsaken reason” is a damn good line."
3. New Archaeological Find Suggests Mary Magdalene Was Actually A Size 12 (posted 2015) From the Onion, a parody site. I lolled.
4. Go and learn what this means (part 6: patriotism) (posted January 24) "These prophetic voices kneel when others stand and stand when others kneel, rejecting all the ritual performance of patriotism as contemptible when compared to the weightier matters of love of country."
5. Jumping away from conclusions is a Bad Thing (posted January 25) "The journalistic malpractice here, though, is that NPR just kind of stops. “The claim was never substantiated” isn’t the end of the process or the end of the story. The next step, in journalism, is to return to the person making the unsubstantiated claim and require that they provide substantiation. If they are unwilling or unable to do so, ask why they persist in repeating an accusation that they themselves admit has no basis."
6. How to call your reps when you have social anxiety. Very useful.