Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chinese Food (Photo Dump)

And here's this month's edition of what I'm eating.

Dumplings before being cooked. During off-peak hours, you always see the people who work at those little restaurants making these things.

Fried rice. I can't eat this anymore, too greasy.

筷子盒 (kuàizi hé, chopsticks box) 已消毒,请放心使用 ("They've been sterilized, don't worry, you can use them.")

Little dumpling-like things. Probably with pork inside?

玉米汤 (yùmǐ tāng) Corn soup. I have no idea why this restaurant gives out spoons in baskets.

烧烤 (shāokǎo) Chinese barbeque. You pick out which sticks of food you want and then the guy fries them and puts on a ton of oil and spices. The ones cooking in this picture are eggplant, bread, and tofu.

Just like Dairy Queen in America! <3 Oreo blizzard and strawberry-banana blizzard.

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng) Kung pao chicken.

Eggplant.

My attempt at making 青椒炒蛋 (qīngjiāo chǎo dàn), fried eggs and green peppers.

I taught my students to make worms in dirt! Oreos, gummy worms, and imported chocolate pudding. It tasted just like it does in America, and therefore the majority opinion was that it was completely unreasonably too sweet. Dude, Chinese people don't eat like, real dessert. They have stuff which is referred to as "cake" or "pie" or "pudding" or whatever, but come on. Where's the sugar? It tastes like foam.
Drives me crazy. Also, this is probably why Chinese people are so skinny. Also, when I ate my worms in dirt, I was kind of overwhelmed/felt a little sick from the sweetness too. I've gotten used to eating less sweet stuff in China.

Subway (赛百味 sài bǎi wèi) They don't put on half as much meat as American Subway does. But I still like it. China doesn't really do sandwiches, so it's nice to go to Subway now and then.

You guys! The cookies taste like American Subway cookies! None of this "flaky little biscuits with no sugar masquerading as cookies" (which is what other "cookies" in China generally are).

锅贴 (guō tiē) Potstickers.

This restaurant brought out bugles and cherry tomatoes to snack on while we waited for a table.

I eat peanut butter because I'm American.

Rice, egg, chicken leg, tofu, veggies.

Soy milk. I don't know why it's gray. I used a few of those sugar packets and it was good.

I don't always eat so healthy... (KFC in Chinese is 肯德基 kěndéjī, it means Kentucky.)

I cook my own dumplings! Well, I buy them frozen and then just boil them. It's really simple.

I put soy sauce on them.

Breakfast from KFC. 粥 (zhōu, porridge) and a 油条 (yóutiáo, deep-fried breadstick). This is totally what the Colonel had in mind.

Some sort of cake with coconut icing.

Noodles.

A "Chinese hamburger." That's either pork or lamb in there.

Purple sweet potatoes, I think.

You know this restaurant is fancy because they stacked the cucumbers.

What's this? Your guess is as good as mine.

Some kind of vegetable? With jam? Again, your guess is as good as mine.
The watermelon was sliced all fancy too.
Ah, eggplant.

Mango smoothie.

Taught the students how to make sandwiches. Then we had a contest for the most creative sandwich.

Birthday cake! With fruit and stuff on top.

Curry with eggplant and chicken.

Delicious tofu.

Leeks and tofu.

Curry with chicken and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis