Monday, May 20, 2019

Let's Donate for Abortion Access

A protester dressed as a Handmaid, holding a sign that says "Trust Women." Image source.
Some disturbing news this past week from Georgia and Alabama:
Georgia governor signs ‘heartbeat bill,’ giving the state one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation
Alabama Senate passes nation’s most restrictive abortion ban, which makes no exceptions for victims of rape and incest

IMPORTANT: These laws have not taken effect yet. Abortion is still legal in Alabama and Georgia, despite new abortion bans

Anyway... I'm 100% pro-choice, because I believe it's a complicated thing, the question of how much value to put on an embryo/fetus's life, weighing that against the physical/emotional/financial toll pregnancy takes on a person, and so there can't be a one-size-fits-all policy for it. It has to be the pregnant person's choice. Nobody else understands the situation; nobody else is qualified to make that choice. (Certainly, a group of cis men who aren't really sure how pregnancy even works are NOT qualified to make that choice.)

(If you want to read a huge long post with all my reasoning for being pro-choice, well you're in luck, click here: Why I Am Pro-Choice.)

In light of the news from Georgia and Alabama, I'm wondering what I can do to help. I've decided to donate to an organization that helps people access abortion. If you have money then I suggest you donate $25- that's $1 for each of the men in Alabama's senate who voted for that law.

Here are a few you could donate to:


If you're able, please donate to one of these. This is important. And call your elected officials. And vote.

-----------------------

Related:
Why I Am Pro-Choice

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis