Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Top 20 Posts From 2018

A cat happily standing on a laptop keyboard. Image source.
Happy 2019, everyone! It's a new year! So here's my round-up of the top posts from 2018, here on Tell Me Why The World Is Weird.

Top 5 posts by pageviews:

1. Globophobia "In reality, the efforts to 'desensitize' me to loud sounds communicated to me that my pain didn't matter. That I would just have to accept it when something hurts me, and I shouldn't react or expect other people to care."

And part 2: "But in college I finally surrendered all to Jesus, and I accepted what everyone else had been telling me for my whole life: It's wrong for me to protect myself. It's wrong for me to expect people to care about my pain. It's wrong for me to claim I have needs different from those of a 'normal person.'"

2. Dr. Strange's Ways Are Higher Than Our Ways "It’s too easy. Too convenient. This line of thinking can be used to excuse any kind of atrocity."

3. Feminism 101: Toxic Masculinity and Fragile Masculinity "Really? Masculinity, which is supposedly so strong and tough, can be destroyed by the mere act of holding a purse?"

4. Asexual and "Impure" "Worked so hard fighting my desires, couldn't even let my guard down enough to actually feel those desires and realize none of them were sexual attraction."

5. They said it was about "valuing our bodies." That was a lie. "Better to just pretend that my vulva doesn't exist- that's what a good, pure girl does, right?"

--------------

And here are a few other good posts from the year:

1. "How Far Is Too Far?" My Story, And What I Wish I'd Known "Like... the idea that I could write you a few lists of all the physical things we did in each of these relationships, and that you could learn anything meaningful from that information alone... that's absurd. It's laughable. But that's the entire focus of purity culture. How far? How far?"

2. From "Virtues Morality" To "Boundaries Morality" "Virtues morality isn't able to diagnose situations where it's not worth your time and effort to 'help others' because you already tried to help but they refused to cooperate, or where your attempts to 'help' aren't going to work anyway, or where people aren't treating you right and therefore they don't deserve your help, or where it comes at such a huge personal cost to you that it's not healthy."

3. Reading US History Inerrantly "And just as I had trained myself to read about the Canaanite genocide without ever thinking 'hey, maybe this was a bad thing that God commanded here', I read about the kidnapping, sale, torture, beating, and murder of African people without ever thinking 'hey, maybe it's actually NOT true that this country was founded on principles of liberty and justice for all.'"

4. This Is Exactly the Martyr Fairy Tale We Aspired To "Furthermore, it is DISGUSTING to pray that God would violate these people's wishes."

5. In Your Anger Do Not Sin (a Hulk fanfic) "Yes, he knew- in an abstract way- that his sin had killed Jesus, that every sin is an infinite offense against a holy God, that his sinful nature was a dangerous thing that shouldn't be taken lightly, that it meant he deserved nothing good, he deserved to die and go to hell... but today his sin had literally turned him into a huge green monster."

6. Great Wall (Qinhuangdao, China) "I know what you're thinking. 'Perfect Number, you've been living in China 5 years, and you haven't shown us pictures of the Great Wall! What gives? Cough 'em up!'"

7. Perfect Number Watches VeggieTales (Master Post) "In November 2017, I decided to do a rewatch and analysis of all the VeggieTales movies, because they were an important part of my childhood in Christian culture."

8. Miss me with your "we are all sexually broken" hot takes. I'm asexual. "I never had the desire to have sex, but I lived in fear that my romantic desires were an indication that I could potentially be so sinful as to desire sex."

9. "You Don't Want Justice": Here Are the Receipts "Living in a constant state of anxiety because you truly do believe that God would be well within their rights to just kill you at any moment."

10. Don't Invite Anybody From 'Desiring God' to Your Funeral "You call this 'good news'? No- If you think it's a good thing that someone stood up at a funeral and announced that the dead person is in hell, then you are FOREVER DISQUALIFIED from telling us what is or isn't 'good news.'"

11. A Post About Masturbation "Just because we're in love and I fully intend to spend the rest of my life with him, why on earth would that mean that he needs to be present every time I stimulate my genitals?"

12. A Little Story About a Mission Trip and Money "Nobody ever said the reason I got to go to China is because I knew a lot of rich Christians. Even though that's the truth."

13. What Sex Is Like (According to Purity Culture) "You may be asexual if you don't get why everyone says it's THE BEST FEELING EVER to do things with their partner's genitals, but you assume it will be self-explanatory once you try it. Yeah, turns out it's not self-explanatory."

14. Cut Out the Middleman (or, why I am the master and commander of my own life) "Because if it's actually me picking which god to follow, then doing what that god tells me to do, why not just cut out the middleman and do what I think is right in the first place?"

--------------

Happy new year everyone! I've got some good stuff planned for 2019 on the blog~

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis