Wednesday, May 20, 2020

If You Haven't Been Financially Affected By COVID-19, Donate Your Entire Check

Image text: "And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. - Luke 12:18" Image source.
Hey so, the US government sent me a check for $1200???

I know it's part of the big relief package to address the economic effects of COVID-19. But I haven't experienced any economic effects. I'm in China- we stayed at home for something like 2-4 weeks, but now we're back at work and I get paid just like normal.

Yes, the pandemic has very much screwed up my future plans regarding moving to the US (mentioned in this post). Very very much screwed up. Yes, it is having a big effect on my life and I'm not happy about it. But it's not a financial effect.

If anything, I'm actually better off financially. I'm not traveling or going out to eat. I'm saving so much money. And that sucks, because I would rather travel than save money, but here we are.

So the point is, I don't feel it would be moral to keep the $1200. Sure, I would like to grow my savings account because we need money for our future plans, but no, it would be wrong to use pandemic money for that. Morally, I need to donate the whole $1200 to people having worse COVID-19 problems than me.

Like, don't be like Jeff Bezos, who is massively profiting off a deadly pandemic. (I would say that's an example of "living in sin.")

#ShareMyCheck has a good list of suggestions of where to donate money.

Let's do this. If you received a check from the US government, but you haven't been financially affected by COVID-19 and you already have an emergency savings account, then give away the money. It's the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis