Saturday, September 29, 2018

Vote!

Sticker with an American flag logo, and the text "I Voted From China." Image source.
I voted! Mailed my absentee ballot, all the way from China. If you need an absentee ballot for the November elections, there is still time to register and get one. Check out these sites for information:
Vote From Abroad
Absentee and Early Voting

Also, I am donating to the Voting Rights Project, to help ALL AMERICANS be able to exercise our right to vote. If you have money, consider donating~

-------------------------------

[content note for sexual assault in this section of the blog post]

So... I haven't said much about what's going on with the Supreme Court this week. I just stuck to my already-scheduled blog posts, because this whole thing is just too emotionally difficult.

Three things I have to say though:

First, Dr. Ford is a hero.

Second, because of all this, I now realize that if I had been sexually assaulted in college, I 100% would not have known it was sexual assault, I 100% would have blamed myself, I 100% would have felt guilty over not "protecting my purity." In college there was this fraternity house I used to hang out at a lot, because a bunch of my friends were brothers, and I just keep thinking about this one time when I was going home really late at night and I wondered if I should just go to the fraternity house and sleep on the couch in their common room, because my own dorm was all the way on the other side of campus.

But I decided no, because... ugh, because I was attracted to some of the boys in the fraternity, and I had been "lusting" recently when I was there... and I thought that if "something happened" it would be because I let myself fall asleep there, and when I'm sleepy I'm less able to "fight temptation" and I might just "let" it happen... and I would lose my purity and it would be my fault. So no, I didn't go to the fraternity house that night.

It never, ever crossed my mind that, if I sleep on the common room couch, and wake up and there's a boy on top of me, touching me, then that's sexual assault and the boy is doing a bad thing and he should be reported and he should be punished. Nope. All I thought about was, I'm attracted to some of the boys here, and I choose to fall asleep- it means on some level, I want *something* to happen. And that's what I get for being so careless with my purity.

Ugh, thank goddess that never happened to me. Purity culture is a hell of a drug.

Third, let's donate to support survivors of sexual assault. You can donate to RAINN, or if you know of other organizations that work to protect women's rights or fight against sexual assault, leave a comment on this post~

-------------------------------

And VOTE! Everyone, vote!

Here, listen to the song "Work" by Rihanna, but sing "vote" instead of "work":

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis