Monday, November 2, 2015

Blogaround

Image source.
1. The Myth of Welfare’s Corrupting Influence on the Poor (posted October 20) "Already in 1995, an analysis of rates of birth to unwed mothers by Hilary Hoynes of the University of California, Berkeley, found that welfare payments did not increase single motherhood."

2. Diversity is for white people: The big lie behind a well-intended word (posted October 26) "It lets white people off the hook from doing something about our own culpability in the problem"

3. Sundays With The Christianists: Let’s Read Some Terrible Pro-Abstinence Comics! (posted October 18) "This Stats kid — we think he’s supposed to be Asian, like all smart kids — apparently keeps some pretty pervy databases. Great future for him in the NSA, we’re sure."

4. On God-ordained, Abortion-inducing Magic Potions and Jealous Husbands Shaming Their Wives in the Bible (posted August 19) "Apparently, it wasn’t enough to pronounce the curse over the bitter potion. God instructs the priest to write down the miscarriage curse, and then WASH IT INTO THE WATER. We are dealing here with the vestiges of sympathetic magic."

5. Biblical Inerrancy is an Attack on the Bible (posted October 27)

6. Christian Blogger Says To Avoid Looking At Your Wife During Sex If She Isn't Enjoying It (posted October 29) Trigger warning, oh god all of the trigger warnings.

7. Mental illness, morality, and holiness (posted October 26) "Because of my memory of so many days when I accomplished absolutely nothing, I cannot think “lazy” when I see people being unproductive; I just think maybe they’re paralyzed by depression or something similar. When I see people in a poor part of town sitting on the sidewalk in the middle of the day, I’m not able to muster up any scorn for them. Even when people I know are doing something like smoking a lot of pot that undermines their sense of willpower and initiative, I tend to view their predicament through a pathological lens rather than a moralistic one, all because of my experience with mental illness."

8. When The Police Turn Someone You Know Into A Hashtag. #CoreyJones (posted October 19)

9. Does the Bible prohibit marriage to a non-believer? How does this correlate with verses like 2 Corinthians 6:14? (posted October 22) Wow. I have never heard this interpretation before. I will have to check into this.

10. On not trusting the Bible (or taking seriously what the Bible's messiness has to teach us about faith) (posted October 19) "These questions presume something of the Bible that my pointing out of historical problems, etc., supposedly “takes away.” That presumption is that a book worthy of being called “sacred scripture” or “God’s word” would not behave these ways but instead be consistent, historically accurate, etc."

11. How I Went From Being a Pro-Life Activist to Being a A Pro-Choice Christian (posted October 27) "I know that there are as many reasons to have an abortion as there are pregnancies, and I do not get to sit in judgment and decide which of those reasons are “legitimate” and which not. I don’t get to define the exceptions. I don’t get to say exactly how or when a pregnancy threatens the life of the mother, or when a relationship is abusive enough to justify it. That is for each of us to decide privately." THIS. This is what I believe.

12. China two-child policy not valid until March, government says (posted November 2) China is changing the one-child policy. Hooray!

13. AP: Hundreds of officers lose licenses over sex misconduct (posted November 1) Trigger warning: descriptions of sexual assault

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis