Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday: The one thing that can never change

Image source.

Remember back in college, when I wrote a few letters to my "future husband"?

Yeah... yeah. I thought it would be so great, years later when I got married and I would give them to him. But now the kind of guy I wrote the letters to isn't the kind of guy I want to marry.

I thought I'd always believe that stuff, but I've changed.

And I've changed so much. Everything I believed as a "good Christian"... The stuff about hell, the stuff about sin, the stuff about purity... I just kind of think back to it and feel like, "nobody believes that anymore, do we?"

Except Good Friday.

Everything changed, but one thing that can't change is that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

That's still true, right?

So Genesis 1 didn't really happen (but is still valuable). Okay, whatever. And the bible has some mistakes. Fine. And I used to think I knew all the answers, and I knew everything about Jesus and why he died, but now those answers don't make sense and I have some new opinions about that but I don't want to say what they are now because I might confuse my own opinion with God's.

But, this is true: That Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

I don't care about the rules anymore, about purity and modesty and you have to read your bible every day or else you're a bad Christian. And I'm no longer going to automatically believe someone because they say "this is God's way" and call others "false teachers." And I'm figuring it out using my way, using my own brain- yeah, not "trusting God" and all that.

But, I'm still a Christian, because I believe Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

If that's not true, screw the whole religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

ShareThis